Amazon’s secret R&D project aimed at delivering packages to your doorstep by “octocopter” mini-drones with a mere 30-minute delivery time

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos had a big surprise for correspondent Charlie Rose this week. After their 60 Minutes interview, Bezos walked Rose into a mystery room at the Amazon offices and revealed a secret R&D project: “Octocopter” drones that will fly packages directly to your doorstep in 30 minutes.

It’s an audacious plan that Bezos says requires more safety testing and FAA approvals, but he estimates that delivery-by-drone, called Amazon “Prime Air,” will be available to customers in as soon as 4-5 years.

When Charlie Rose walked in and saw the Prime Air drones sitting on a tabletop for the show-and-tell, he exclaimed “Oh, my God!” It was a genuine reaction– Rose and the 60 Minutes team weren’t in on the secret beforehand. The story had been in the works for months before the Amazon representatives started hinting that a new project might be revealed to 60 Minutes.

“I only knew that there was a surprise coming. I had no idea what it was,” says 60 Minutes producer Draggan Mihailovich. “They kept saying over and over again, ‘Whatever you think it is, it isn’t.’” Mihailovich grew skeptical when the Amazon PR team began to hype their surprise behind the scenes. “How great can this be?” he thought.

via Amazon unveils futuristic plan: Delivery by drone – CBS News.

11 Comments

1. Terry says:

Delivered to safe suburbs only because how will this work in crime infested areas? You need to be home to get package obviously but this will not work in the big cities as criminals will go shopping. They will reroute these drones to their house eventually haha by inside job

2. All Your TSP Belong To Us ! says:

Don’t let the USPS in on this, or they’ll be five eas supervisors for every drone………..along with the usual absurd amount of Vice Presidents, etc.

3. Big D says:

Terry is right! I saw this on TV and thought no way that half of these mail deliveries get to their intended recipients. Reroute them they will, possibly by shooting them down! The owner of amazon says he’s probably 5 years away from perfecting this. I think the FAA grounds this entire idea simply because of to many safety concerns. These drones are not manned they are self programed to the delivery spot. Not only the terror mentioned above happening to these drones but the unfortunate circumstances of these drones occasionally mal functioning and crashing perhaps into an automobile traveling on a busy highway or street causing severe injuries. So many different scnario’s that could cause major problems with these drones. Just can’t see it happening.

4. GAY as a DOORNAIL VELEZ says:

READ THIS;
    I am for this if my SANWSICHES can get to my customers in under 30 minutes. Who cares about the safety issues…HUH ? So waht if one of these dronzes failes in mid-flight and falls on a person, or if the parcel gets to the rond address, who cares. I em thnikng that I will use this new service to expand my sanswivh line sooner. Think of it, a fresh Jizzum and peanut buttur samdnwich in under 30 minutes, and hold tthe salt…

5. barryb says:

the most idiotic idea of all time. Half-hour delivery time the customer could probaly walk to the store and purchase there item if thats the case. I will follow the drone and smash it when it lands.

6. Expat says:

When I first saw this I thought it was a laugher. Think of all that could go wrong. The jokes spawn themselves. However, I wrongly assumed the FAA would never approve anything like this.

This is from a Nov. 7, 2013 FAA press release:

“The FAA is committed to safe, efficient and timely integration of UAS (unmanned aircraft systems) into our airspace,” said FAA Administrator Michael Huerta. “We are dedicated to moving this exciting new technology along as quickly and safely as possible.”

The press release reads further:

“The FAA plans to select six UAS test sites to begin work on safely integrating UAS into the airspace. These congressionally-mandated test sites will conduct critical research into how best to safely integrate UAS systems into the national airspace over the next several years and what certification and navigation requirements will need to be established.”

I’m still laughing though. The unplanned consequences are hilarious to contemplate.

7. GAY as a DOORNAIL VELEZ says:

READ THIS FELLAS;
    I can get my sndiches deeliveed faster….K-LOL…. chumps usps employees are…

8. mrod says:

Theres goes everyone jobs

9. mrod says:

I never understood how people down USPS and we deliver UPS and FedEx packages cause they like to steal their customers money and have us do their job cause its cost efficient!?! But they took their money still . Let the public know that fact

10. mrod says:

Drones great for target practice lol

11. Florida MVS says:

We call this
    Skeet Shooting with Prizes !